Sunday, January 12, 2014

71st Golden Globe Awards Predictions (Motion Pictures)



Ready for the American Hustle sweep? I'm not... just yet. Anyway, here's my predictions for the 71st Golden Globes:


BEST DRAMA

"12 Years a Slave"
"Captain Phillips"
"Gravity"
"Philomena"
"Rush"

Will win: 12 YEARS A SLAVE
Should win: GRAVITY

-I'm not as emotionally invested in this category as I should be. But among these, Gravity is my favorite.



BEST COMEDY OR MUSICAL

"American Hustle"
"Her"
"Inside Llewyn Davis"
"Nebraska"
"The Wolf of Wall Street"

Will win: AMERICAN HUSTLE
Should win: INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

-At this juncture, American Hustle seems unstoppable in an upward trajectory towards Best Picture and let's say I'm not very thrilled about this turn of events.



BEST ACTOR - DRAMA

Chiwetel Ejiofor, "12 Years a Slave"
Idris Elba, "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"
Tom Hanks, "Captain Phillips"
Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"
Robert Redford, "All Is Lost"

Will win: Chiwetel Ejiofor
Should win: Matthew McConaughey

- I really don't mind anyone winning, except Idris Elba. It's not that he's bad, but not as good as the other contenders. Plus, I preferred Naomie Harris's turn as Winnie Mandela.



BEST ACTRESS - DRAMA

Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"
Sandra Bullock, "Gravity"
Judi Dench, "Philomena"
Emma Thompson, "Saving Mr. Banks"
Kate Winslet, "Labor Day"

Will win: Cate Blanchett
Should win: Cate Blanchett

-Congratulations in order.



BEST ACTOR - COMEDY OR MUSICAL

Christian Bale, "American Hustle"
Bruce Dern, "Nebraska"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Oscar Isaac, "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Her"

Will win: Bruce Dern
Should win: Oscar Isaac

-What a decent group of nominees, though I wasn't as keen on Bale in American Hustle as I was on the others.



BEST ACTRESS - COMEDY OR MUSICAL

Amy Adams, "American Hustle"
Julie Delpy, "Before Midnight"
Greta Gerwig, "Frances Ha"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Enough Said"
Meryl Streep, "August: Osage County"

Will win: Meryl Streep
Should win: Greta Gerwig or Julie Delpy

-Now the thing is, I saw August: Osage County two days ago and I actually liked it better than I had expected. And Meryl was fantastic in it. She'd be my third choice behind Gerwig and Delpy, who were just transcendent in their respective roles in two of the year's best films. I know Amy has a better shot, and I love her the most in American Hustle, but I just want Meryl the Thespian to win, hence my pick.



BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Barkhad Abdi, "Captain Phillips"
Daniel Bruhl, "Rush"
Bradley Cooper, "American Hustle"
Michael Fassbender, "12 Years a Slave"
Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club"

Will win: Jared Leto
Should win: Don't.. really care, though Leto's win would be nice.

I enjoyed the contributions Leto, Bruhl, and Abdi made to their films respectively, but again, I don't really have any candidate I feel like cheerleading for.



BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Sally Hawkins, "Blue Jasmine"
Jennifer Lawrence, "American Hustle"
Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"
Julia Roberts, "August: Osage County"
June Squibb, "Nebraska"

Will win: Jennifer Lawrence
Should win: Julia Roberts or Sally Hawkins

-I adore Lupita Nyong'o and Jennifer Lawrence, but Roberts and Hawkins were simply superior in their essentially "observer" roles each watching the mental unraveling of her loved one.



BEST DIRECTOR

Alfonso Cuaron, "Gravity"
Paul Greengrass, "Captain Phillips"
Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave"
Alexander Payne, "Nebraska"
David O. Russell, "American Hustle"

Will win: Steve McQueen
Should win: Alfonso Cuaron



BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Blue is the Warmest Color (France)
The Great Beauty (Italy)
The Hunt (Denmark)
The Past (Iran)
The Wind Rises (Japan)

Will win: The Great Beauty
Should win: Haven't seen three of these nominees so..



BEST ANIMATED FILM

"The Croods"
"Despicable Me 2"
"Frozen"

Will win: Frozen



BEST SCREENPLAY

Her
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle

Will win: American Hustle
Should win: Nebraska



BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

All Is Lost
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Gravity
The Book Thief
12 Years a Slave

Will win: Gravity
Should win: All Is Lost. These survival movies -- I mean All Is Lost, Gravity, and 12 Years a Slave -- have their own moments where the score is overbearing, but I responded more to the music in All Is Lost, hence my pick.


BEST ORIGINAL SONG

"Atlas" - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
"Let It Go" - Frozen
"Ordinary Love" - Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
"Please Mr. Kennedy" - Inside Llewyn Davis
"Sweeter Than Fiction" - One Chance

Will win & Should win: Please Mr. Kenney. Inside Llewyn Davis gotta win something, dammit!


This is it. Enjoy the Golden Globes!


No comments:

Post a Comment