Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Welcome.


Hey guys. Welcome to the good moviegoer, a blog dedicated to movie reviews and Oscar predictions.

Here, I will post movie reviews and my thoughts on the state of the Oscar race as regularly as possible. Readers, thanks in advance for reading and commenting on my blog.

Let me quickly outline the blog's features:

1. Movie reviews

Movie reviews I post here each consist of the gist of the review, the body, and my grade on a scale of 0-10. Needless to say, all of them are based on my own opinions and preferences, and some will be expanded in my Further Thoughts.
The following is my grading system:

[0] Bomb. In other words, what did I do to deserve this.
[1] Disaster. A warning to the reader: Avoid at all costs.
[2] Near disaster. Should have walked out after the first reel.
[3] Bad, but with a little fun. Includes most guilty pleasures, especially those terribly crafted.
[4] Not so bad or mediocre, it wasn't a waste of time, but I wouldn't bother revisiting it.
[5] Okay, story told well, but with no outstanding technical merits.
[6] Fine, story told well, with a few outstanding scenes, performances that made me cry
[7] Good, story told well, technically good overall, performances that made me cry, director's signature style
[8] Very good, story told well, technically excellent, unforgettable performances, director's signature style, my top 10 of the year candidate
[9] Great, all of the above plus thematic depth & personal resonance, of course my top 10 of the year candidate
[10] Best of the year

2. Oscar predictions

The kickoff of the annual Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) in early September is widely considered the beginning of each Oscar season, and my first Oscar Predictions entry will be also posted around then. I haven't decided on the look of a predictions chart, but until then, I will just put up a list of my current predictions as frequently as once a week.

3. Weekly roundup

If I don't have enough time, or if I have only little to say about movies I've seen, I will include short reviews for them in a weekly roundup.

And... that's pretty much it. Again, thanks for your visit, and my next post will be about my first 85th Oscar Predictions. Feel free to share your thoughts, predictions, etc.





No comments:

Post a Comment